Downtown Stabbing Marks Year's First Homicide
By Jorge Casuso
June 22, 2021 -- A man was fatally stabbed in Downtown Santa Monica Monday evening, marking the city's first homicide this year.
Officers responding to a report of a shot fired on the 300 block of Broadway at around 7:30 p.m. found a man with a stab wound to the neck, police said.
"They didn't know each other," Flores said. "There may have been some exchange of words. One party followed the other.
Witnesses who were with the victim at the scene gave officers a description of both subjects and told them the direction they were headed in, Flores said.
Officers quickly established a perimeter, and the two subjects were stopped in the area of 6th Street and Santa Monica Boulevard, he said.
Witnesses identified the subjects as the two involved, and they were taken into custody without incident, Flores said. Officers found a knife believed to be used by the suspect.
Sean Alexander Graves, a 28-year-old male from Long Beach, was booked for murder, police said. The female with Graves was interviewed then released.
There was one murder in Santa Monica last year, down from three in 2019, according to FBI crime statistics.
Anyone with any information pertaining to the incident should call Detective Haro with the Criminal Investigations Division at 310-458-8432 or the SMPD Watch Commander (24 hours) at 310-458-8427.
|copyrightCopyright 1999-2021 surfsantamonica.com. All Rights Reserved.