|
Search | Archive | Columns | Special Reports | The City | Commerce | Links | About Us | Contact |
Council approves matchmaking services, bans sidewalk obstruction |
|
By Lookout Staff October 19, 2010 -- In a light-hearted moment that inspired laughter in the Council Chambers, the City Council last week voted to end a 56-year ban on “matchmaking services.” City staff had proposed the change because the online dating service eHarmony is moving to Santa Monica. Several council members and public speakers took the opportunity to make well-received jokes. Jerry Rubin, a regular public speaker and City Council candidate, said he wanted to create a City Matchmaking Advisory Commission. Council member Kevin McKeown noted that it was not clear earlier why the item was on the agenda, but it had become apparent it was due to eHarmony. “Because I don’t think the council knew,” he said. “This just kind of showed up on our agenda like a blind date.” Council member Bob Holbrook asked if the City Attorney’s Office ever goes through the municipal code for “things that are just way out of whack with today’s times.” Assistant City Attorney Joseph Lawrence said the office has not done this. “The municipal code does have a number of odd things in it that date back for several decades,” Lawrence said. “We have not embarked on a program to go through the municipal code to change them. Maybe some day we should.” The council also approved a proposal making it illegal to obstruct a sidewalk to the extent that it leaves less than four feet of width for pedestrians. This change to the municipal code is the latest attempt to reduce the large number of exercisers on Adelaide Drive and Fourth Street. Concern was raised that cars could be included in this new rule, and this could threaten the practice some residents use of allowing guests to block their own driveways to create a new space on the street. Lawrence altered the wording of the ordinance to eliminate this possibility. Also at the meeting, the council unanimously approved a letter for various members of the U.S. Senate asking for a “quick full funding” for the three abandoned buildings on the Veterans Administration grounds in Westwood for housing homeless veterans. Mayor Bobby Shriver has been a major advocate for using these buildings to house and treat homeless veterans. It was announced in June that funding had been acquired to do this at one of the buildings. Funding Acquired for Service House for Homeless Vets, June 30, 2010. “It actually has to go through this Congressional process, so we’d like to add our voice to that request,” Shriver said. He added that it has been an arduous process. “We still don’t have the money sitting here today, and it’s very, very frustrating,” Shriver said. |
![]() |
Copyright 1999-2010 surfsantamonica.com. All Rights Reserved. |