2802 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
|Home||Special Reports||Archive||Links||The City||Commerce||About||Contacts||Editor||Send PR|
First Coronavirus Case Confirmed in Santa Monica
By Lookout Staff
March 17, 2020 -- Los Angeles County Health officials on Monday confirmed the first case of coronavirus in Santa Monica but gave no details about the case.
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health officials released a list of 37 communities that have had at least one confirmed case of COVID-19.
There are 11 additional cases still under investigation.
During a press briefing Tuesday, health officials cautioned that no city is safer than any other and said the virus may be spread across the county.
"There may be people infected everywhere in the county," said DPH Director Barbara Ferrer. “Just because you don’t see a case in your community doesn’t mean you aren’t going to see a case there tomorrow.
"More importantly," she added, "it doesn’t mean there may not be people in your community who might have COVID19 but are not diagnosed.”
Ferrer urged the public to follow public health guidelines that require frequent handwashing and keeping a safe distance from others.
"Think and act for your own health and for the health of our community."
In addition to Santa Monica, nearby cities with one confirmed case were Venice, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Westchester.
Culver City and Inglewood both had two cases.
A total of 144 cases had been confirmed in LA County, which has a population of more than 10 million. One person has died.
Of those cases, 50 were confirmed Tuesday, health officials said.
|copyrightCopyright 1999-2020 surfsantamonica.com. All Rights Reserved.||Disclosures|