Logo horizontal ruler

Firefighter Hurt in 9th Street Blaze

By Lookout Staff

April 1 -- A firefighter suffered a minor injury early Sunday morning while fighting a blaze that broke out in the trash area of a home in the 900 block of 9th Street, fire officials said. The firefighter was treated at a hospital and released back to duty.

The fire broke out at around 2 a.m. when oil-soaked rags discarded in a trash alcove adjoining the home's garage spontaneously ignited. Flames spread into the eaves of the garage and damaged the structure's attic storage space.

The fire caused $13,000 in damage, according to fire department spokeswoman Jill Barnes.

No one was at home when the fire broke out.

The fire department is cautioning residents to be careful when disposing of oil-soaked rags. Wadded-up rags used for oil-based staining are a common cause of this type of spontaneous ignition, which is sparked by the oil and cloth generating excess heat, according to a fire department statement.

Rags should be soaked in water, spread out and dried before they are discarded.
Lookout Logo footer image
Copyright 1999-2008 surfsantamonica.com. All Rights Reserved.
Footer Email icon